Monday, March 01, 2010

A Better Day

At about 2:30 Wednesday, I was taken to pre-op. I met the surgeon again and he discussed what would happen in the next few hours. He said the operation could take anywhere from 2 to 6 hours. He was going to place a rod from my knee to my ankle to help keep the bones together and straight. He was also going to put a plate in my ankle to keep the ankle positioned correctly.

I have never had surgery before, so I was surprised when I woke up several hours later in recovery without any memory of anything after that conversation. The surgery went exceptionally well. The doctor was able to finish in less than 2 hours and didn't need to put in the plate. He said the bones went together really well. Yea!

My care in pre-op, post-op and on the ortho floor was the complete opposite of the experience I had in Hell the night before. The nurses were friendly, explained what they were doing, didn't treat me like a piece of meat, and were careful to not let my pain get out of control. For that, and for the excellent medical care I received in ER, I am very thankful.

No comments: