Friday, January 23, 2009

Impatiently Waiting

My iPod has been fixed and is enroute back to me! It is due to arrive next Thursday. The good folks at Milliamp had it up and running less than 24 hours after it arrived. I can't wait to see it!

In the meantime, I have been updating my iTunes and adding all the blank and mis-matched album cover art to the appropriate songs. (I guess it's not really "album art" anymore, is it? What do we call it now? iPod art isn't exactly accurate either).

Anyhoo...I noticed as I was going about my work and thinking what a diverse bunch of songs I have on my iTunes, I realized I have a very annoying habit. It turns out, I can only sing the chorus to most of the songs I know and love. So it's dead quiet, and then when the chorus comes along, I sing that...and then go back to dead silence.

Now, considering I am not as good as some of the very worst American Idol contestants, perhaps it's a good thing that I only know the chorus. But it makes me feel...I don't know...decidedly old.

Once upon a time, I could sing every word to the songs I liked. Most of those I still remember. Back in the days before the internet (yes, I can remember them clearly, although I prefer not to), my friends and I would often debate about the lyrics to songs that were not quite intelligible.

"Did Bono just sing 'it's too late to drag your pants out to the light'?"

In college, we knew a guy that listened to the REM song "It's the End of the World as We Know It" 500 times until he could sing every word. Now, of course, it's as simple as Googling the song lyrics and printing it out. You don't have to torture your friends with 500 iterations of the same song. Ah, those were the days.

So, in some ways, I have no excuse not to be able to sing every word, no matter how badly I sing. Yet I realize that I still don't understand the majority of the fun lyrics out there. But I can just mumble the chorus. Who has time to look up lyrics anyway? Not me!

No comments: