This has been an extremely busy week. On Tuesdays and Thursdays I don't get home until after class, which is around 9:30. Wednesday of this week I had a five hour interview at Microsoft. Yes. FIVE HOURS.
As you know, I have wanted to work at Microsoft (my ultimate goal!) since 2001. Everything I have done since 2001 (including entering the MBA program at Seattle University) has been with the goal of Microsoft in mind. So...you can imagine that I was pretty excited to score an interview for a position that I had applied for six months ago. I took out my "Microsoft file" to study, ironed my clothes, took the day off work and went down to the Sammamish campus (only 11 minutes from my house, how perfect is THAT??). I answered all the questions, was reasonably relaxed, and even took a writing test (which was easy). I thought I did pretty well. It's possible that they might actually offer me the position!
So...Here's the rub. It's customer service, not technical at all. I don't think I'd really like it. I don't think it would be challenging for me. Even if it IS challenging for me, I'm afraid that if I take it, I would be out of the "technical loop" and might lose whatever edge I have in learning new technology. Would I be pigeon-holed if I took this job? Would my new manager be offended if I took the first opportunity to jump ship and get a more technical job? Would Microsoft be willing to pick up the $5000 tab that Paccar is currently paying for my first quarter at Seattle U? Am I shooting myself in the foot if I accept a job that I don't really want just so I can move internally once I am hired?
Never, in a million years, did I dream that I would face this dilemma. I figured: if it's Microsoft, I'm there, no matter what. But now that I have started school (again) and now that I am in a position to get into a supervisor role at Paccar (sometime in the near future), I am not so sure that I should just take whatever comes my way. The bad news is that the longer I wait, the harder it will be. (Right now my bill is $5000, but next quarter it will be closer to $9000, etc.) I can't afford to pay that back if Microsoft doesn't agree to pick up the tab.
Anyway, I guess I shouldn't be counting any chickens yet anyway, since I have not been offered the job. No sense hurting my brain on a possibility that is just that: a possibility. I am supposed to hear from the recruiter early next week. Yea!
In other happy news, I have lost more weight and will be seeing the 130's this week!! I don't think I've seen the 130's since before Heather was born! I can't wait to shop for new (smaller!) clothes.